Tuesday, May 26, 2009

MEDIALUNES mmmmmmm



Mi Casa!!!
Weeeeelll this morning started early at 6:30. I set my alarm at the loudest it could possibly be set to make sure that I woke up. Usually, no matter how loud an alarm is, it NEVER wakes me up…because I start to dream about whatever Kidd Kraddick is talking about or I dream about the song playing. But since it was all in Spanish, I think I got confused and didn’t know what to dream about aaaand woke up right away. There is a window at the end of the shower that opens up to patio where they hang their clothes to dry, so I felt like I was showering in Greece haha cause there were vines everywhere and stone walls with clothes and sheets pinned up. So, I sang some opera in the shower to fit the mood.

My family had already all left for work when I came into the kitchen to make breakfast. There must be some special touch to turn on the gas stove because apparently straight gas doesn’t toast bread. I spent too much time trying to figure it out and was running late, so I decided to just grab some cereal. Well, apparently they don’t have Ziploc bags in argentina, so I just put the cereal into a bowl, put a banana in the side pocket of my backpack (which I forgot about and found smooshed later at school…..woof) and started walking to Rue’s house. Or I guess I should say speed walked/jog-walked while looking behind me the whole time for rapists. Even though it’s just around the block (about 30 seconds walking), it’s still really dark…I think a stray dog put a curse on me, I growled at it a little so it knew I could take it.

Rue's dad (the most affectionate man i have ever met) drove us to school. The whole way we were trying to decode his sentences...with a group effort, we understood most of what he was saying. Then, he walked us to our class haha...we felt like little kindergarteners on our first day of school with our daddy. It was so funny...everyone was staring at the stupid Americans. i wish i had gotten a picture, but i'll take one tomorrow!

SO SO SO good to see all the girls!! We had a break in the middle of school and they fed us pastries including medialunes (croissants w/ honey on them....heaven in my mouth. i had 5 of them. whoops) and coke. We all had lunch at the school which included appetizer, entree and dessert which was about 2 and a half hours but incredible food. I forgot to take pictures at lunch. Then, Brett's mom met us at school so she could show us how to use the buses to get home. so the 4 of us walked to the bus station. She literally knows no english, so we were flipping through brett's english-spanish dictionary pretty rapidly the whole time haha

Then we walked home from the bus station which is a BEAUTIFUL walk...I almost got ran over by a car, but Brett's mom pulled me out of the street yelling 'DANGER!' (her only english word hahahahhahahahah). Then came home for about 45 minutes and caught up on some emails and was just about to take a siesta when brett and rue ring the doorbell wanting to go to the open mall. So, Marcos drove us there. We walked around for a longtime then sat down at a coffee shop for a while and hung out. so so fun...we've kind of become our own little family haha



We stopped at this little "Italian Starbucks" as Marcos called it and had some coffee, gelato aaaaand I had another medialuna. (they are incredible!!!!!!!) We went up to the counter and were going to start to order, but Marcos said that you are supposed to sit down and they come to you. Then, Rue was going to order a glass of wine but Marcos said that everyone would laugh at him (apparently you dont order wine at coffee shops?) haha so it was good we had Marcos there to teach us how to not be stupid tourists. We sat there for a long time and talked...sooo fun


walking around! it's soo beautiful


Roberto y yo! Everytime Rue introduces himself to an Argentine they say RUUUUEEE?! haha sooooo now he is Roberto.



Brett and his mama! This is when we were waiting for the bus to come pick us up from school haha. casey, this woman is the argentine version of your mom


It's 8:30 now, so dinner is in about 2 hours haha (they eat dinner at 10:30 or 11) and then hopefully BED!!!! Tomorrow is our placement exam so i'm gonna try and study some spanish tonight. Till tomorrow....CIAO!

2 comments:

  1. OK, media lunas and asado....here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi farellbaby!!! Good work on the blog, teach annie how to add pictures. I'm sick not being there with ya'll. I'll just imagine myself in all the situations. So you liked media lunas hmmm, wait til you try some really good empanadas, yeah yeahhhh!! Oh and asado, yessss. Can't wait to hear about the mountains, you're going to LOVE 'em. Also, I'm really glad you and Juany found each other. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete